October 18, 2015 at 3:25 pm #1526
OK, so I know this is a way long way off, but is there any plans that, once you complete the current task of rebuilding the old LU up from nothing, to make new things for lu, such as the LU fire temple update we were destined to never get? I am not pushing for speed at all, I am just seriously curious as to if any of you plan to one day, not only finish building back up LU, but making and adding in new things to show some progression from LU to LUNI…
IF YOU DID, I know there are a great many who would not only love it, but would also actually love to be able to help in the department of coming up with new concepts and such, myself included… (I may not know code, but I DO know a bit about art and the designing of new creations. :))
IF NOT, totally understandable. I get it that you guys have lives and are not getting payed to remake LU and potentially wouldn’t want to taint the memories of LU by adding to it allot… Just having the old LU back in action is a TREMENDOUS feat that I’m sure one day COUNTLESS people will thank you for, seeing that they’re one time favorite game has been restored to it’s old glory, while also allowing those who never had the chance to play LU the opportunity that Lego financially was incapable of making…
October 18, 2015 at 3:34 pm #1527
- This topic was modified 1 year, 10 months ago by Xiphoseer. Reason: Edited title to say something about the content
Also, was kinda curious if and/or when the private islands/properties were going to be designed. (Not pushing, just curious upon their place on the chain of events. I totally see them long after npcs and pets are done, was merely expressing a curiosity of mine.)
If and/or when they are begun getting setup, a piece of advice: Pull apart Lego digital designer’s code. It has most brick’s 3D designs in there so you could just about copy paste them into the new engine. Another thing for “builds” would be to hold sort of the “creation lab” type events here to get the “master builder” designs for creations, so that you can have the same drag and drop builds in this game as the old LU did.October 18, 2015 at 4:16 pm #1528
Ok, the stuff you ask is indeed way down the line, but you have some interesting questions in there, so i’ll try to answer them.
1) I have been told that the LU client can be modded, and we know some places where we can decode and possibly manipulate the data, but it requires a lot of experience as far as I know. Furthermore, doing a full update like the fire temple is difficult for two reasons: We would need to add completely new Worlds/Scenes/Levels to the game, which is likely referenced in a lot of placess, making it very difficult. Additionally, we would need to do some work to prevent “outdated” clients from connecting, ideally by changing the version, which is likely not easy either.
TL;DR: Modding details is technically possible, new update is difficult and way down the line.
2) Art and design for such a level would need to be done in the format that the original LU uses, since the client has a lot of gamedata included and needs to be updated for new content too. If you are interested, look at .nif files or the Gamebryo engine (be careful though, i’ve heard they don’t like when people upload LU stuff to their systems). If we do such a thing, designers would be appreciated I guess, but since it’s long in the future there is absolutely no reason to do anything in that direction at this point, since we don’t even completely know what we need for an “update”.
TL;DR: Yes, why not have designers, but at this point, no use for them at all.
3) Private Islands/Propertys shouldn’t be that hard to own a property, what is hard is the thinking cap mode to actually build BBB (BrickByBrick). However spawning objects with commands might be possible if someone takes the time to implement it when we have object loading from level files done, which goes hand in hand with NPCs.
TL;DR: Property owning is easy, building on it is hard. And you might miss some GUIs.
4) The LDD has the data for all those bricks, but the client has them too, in the format we need them in. That’s all we need as far as I can tell, so no need to pull apart LDD. As for the ‘Master Builders’ thing, the finished models too are in the client files, we can reuse those, adding new ones is not easy and very low priority.October 18, 2015 at 9:13 pm #1536
Ok, COOL! thanks for the feedback xiphoseer. :)Oh, so you guys really ARE just recoding the old LU data files then? You’re not making every last thing from scratch, but you’re using proverbial “screenshots” of LU code and remodeling it to be usable nowadays… Is that close to an accurate statement?
Ok, fully understand that going as far as “updating” would be hard. (the whole original game was huge, so “new” content wouldn’t be fully necessary to have a monstrously long game.) If you do at some time decide to head in that direction, I would def help if I could. (would blender ever be of use for making and rendering characters, or no?)
How would the brick by brick mode be any more difficult or different than LDD? Just out of curiosity… I know, probably a “no-brainer” question, programming wise, but for one who isn’t quite so well versed in that tongue, I really don’t quite understand that, from a user perspective…
Completely get that. Wasn’t sure how much of the old LU you actually had, as far as worlds and content…October 18, 2015 at 10:31 pm #1537
This has answered a lot of my questions too. Thanks!October 19, 2015 at 4:01 am #1538
Hmmm, it’s not quite a correct statement, but it’s pretty close. The original LU client still exists, and we have enough data to get them working. Since it’s collected from users, things like Nexus2 or BlastClient came to be, which are just different sets of files of the old client which are usable more or less. The client has all images and assets, models and GUI stuff, which is amazing since we then only have to focus on the missing part: The servers. (Btw, there is LU Rebuilt and another project with a similar name which I don’t remember right now, who are writing a new software from scratch.)
What we do is recreating the servers that LEGO had by emulating the network traffic and data handling that the client requires. This is very difficult, because it involves a lot of guesswork, since LEGO didn’t provide an API documentation for packets. Some developers that were in the early team that developed such a custom server (long before this page or even TTS was a thing, actually even before LU closed) are creating just that at the moment.
The LU models are done in *.nif format of the Gambryo engine, and if I recall correctly, there are some obj to nif converters out there. I might just have been export to obj, not sure about that. But if it’s possible, you should be able to convert from blender to nif, but that really is not relevant now.
LDD is a finished software. Writing it in the first place might be as difficult as writing BBB in LU when the code was done initially, but what we need to do is to find the right packets and the right syntax and data to send to hook into the client part of BBB to make it work. Maybe more form a users perspective: Making the original BBB work is harder than creating an LDD like tool. Maybe this metaphor is fitting (i’m usually really bad at metaphors): We’re not building a ship, we’re trying to recover, fix and sail a sunken ship.October 19, 2015 at 12:26 pm #1539July 18, 2016 at 3:38 am #6354
I understand its just a way of simple recoding the LDU data files, and its configuration remain unalter.
July 18, 2016 at 10:52 pm #6367
- This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by Timtech. Reason: Removed spam link. This is your last warning before you are banned, @danbutler
Though seeing the progress of getting LU back up as it was, I’m not too hopeful about this happening, I would love to help out should the game get to that point. I’ve been taking some pretty deep dives into game design (mechanics like rewards and quests and stuff, not as much into code or physical building) and would be more than willing to help make more stuff for LU.July 20, 2016 at 4:55 am #6384
Pretty sure this project is deadJuly 20, 2016 at 6:06 am #6385
It is only a community right now. Read about the backgrouds at https://xiphosia.wordpress.com/2015/12/07/a-bit-of-backstory/. There is another project called DLU but they have no website or download available.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.